Today, there is a wide range of connected weight scales on the market. One of the first ones to come out with a Wi-Fi scale was, however, Withings. The French company’s scales use a Wi-Fi connection to sync your readings with your personal health dashboard, they have an iOS and Android app, as well as a web app accessible from any web browser.
Withings company currently offers two scales:
- WS 30 Wireless Scale and
- Withings Smart Body Analyser WS 50.
Both of these track weight and BMI, support multiple user profiles and use automatic recognition. The Smart Body Analyzer however goes further than the WS-30 and tracks body fat, heart rate, carbon dioxide concentration and indoor temperature.
Ease of use
Use of information
OverviewView technical specs
The scale has a small display screen that lights up when you step on it. Once the WS-50 has shown all your readings, the screen fades back to black.
You can press on the silver circle in the center of the scale to check the current indoor air quality and temperature. Interesting metrics, although we are not so sure they belong on a scale.
The device comes with batteries, which will keep it going for about a year before needing to be replaced.
The scale is very easy to set up. Once you install and launch the Withings Health Mate app on your phone, the app walks you through the steps. When you step on the scale, the screen displays your weight, followed by your fat mass, and your heart rate. It takes less than a minute to cycle through all these readings.
Some of the features of this scale include:
- Accurate Weight and BMI measurement with Position Control: If you’re striving to lose weight and every little weight variation makes a big difference to you, you’ll appreciate that the scales come with Position Control technology, which helps properly position your body for high-accuracy weighing. On-screen visual feedback is provided while you stand on the scale so that your position is balanced and comparable at each weighing. A complementary BMI (Body Mass Index) reading is provided to help you know where you stand.
- Reliable Body Fat monitoring: Withings scales use bioelectrical impedance analysis to estimate your body fat mass. They circulate a small, safe electrical current through your body and return your body lean and fat mass. Its bioelectrical impedance technology is cleared by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and offer both an athlete and non-athlete mode.
- Wirelessly uploads using your Wi-Fi network: Don’t bother tracking down your weight, your scale does it for you. After each weighing, it automatically uploads and syncs your weight and body fat readings using its Wi-Fi connectivity. All your charts and apps immediately get updated with the new readings. The large range of Wi-Fi connectivity allows you to weigh from anywhere in your home, no matter where your wireless router or access point is located.
- Free app to visualize weight trends, set goals, and monitor your progress: Withings free Health Companion app lets you visualize your weight trends and set yourself achievable goals that keep you motivated. Watch your efforts pay and feel good about it. Choose to publish easily to Facebook and Twitter to keep yourself motivated and receive support from friends. Also monitor additional aspects of your health using other Withings or compatible devices. Withings scales also work with many compatible apps, such as Runkeeper, Lose It!, or MyFitnessPal. View larger.
- Multi-user support with automatic recognition: Wi-Fi Body Scale is designed to be used by the whole family: you can easily create a user profile for each of you (up to 8 profiles), from one single family account and email address. As the scale gets to know your weigh, it automatically recognizes who steps on to ensure a seamless weighing even if different family member use it. You can decide to share your weight readings or choose to keep them private so that only you can see them.
The scale’s weight and BMI measurements are very accurate. However, the fat mass measurements are somewhat inconsistent and can sometimes range quite a bit. This is however to be expected and is probably the case with all such scales on the market.
The WS 50 offers a few features to keep you motivated. In the Health Mate app, you can set a reminder to weigh yourself, and you’ll get an alert at a scheduled time. The ability, however, to view your progress (or lack of!) online or through the app is what makes this Wi-Fi scale truly useful and convenient.
We are very impressed with the Withings scale – it simply does the job.
What sets the WS 50 apart – aside from its classy looks and price – is the variety of health data it records. As well as standard weight, BMI and fat percentage figures, the WS 50 tracks your heart rate every time you step on it and continually monitors your home’s air quality and temperature.
Withings WS-50 Smart Body Analyzer
Having this scale in the bathroom means you can make weighing yourself part of your morning ritual, allowing you to track your weight every day, at roughly the same time, in the same state of undress, with no hassle. Once you’ve got it configured for your wireless network and set up the users, it just goes about its work simply enough. The fat % monitoring can sometimes vary, as is the case with all such scales. There are few truly accurate ways of fat percentage monitoring outside clinics/hospitals where you are submersed in water!
If you love gadgets and find tracking your weight useful to help you diet or maintain a healthy weight, then this scale is an excellent option.