Oura’s $2.2 billion IPO is suddenly on hold
Oura’s Nasdaq debut was practically at the starting line. The smart ring maker was expected to price its shares on Tuesday and begin trading on Wednesday, but it has postponed the IPO instead. In a press release, Oura says demand was strong but the IPO market was too uncertain for it to proceed.
That is a sudden change for a deal that had moved well beyond the early paperwork. When we first covered Oura’s plan to go public, there was no price range or share count. Those details arrived last week: 50 million shares at $40 to $44 each, with a proposed Nasdaq ticker of OURA.
Where the $2.2 billion would have gone
At the top of the range, the offering would have totaled $2.2 billion and implied a fully diluted valuation of about $15.6 billion. But that does not mean Oura itself was set to receive $2.2 billion. Its SEC filing says the company planned to issue 13.5 million new shares, while existing shareholders would sell the other 36.5 million.
In other words, 73% of the shares in the base offering were being sold by existing holders. At $44 a share, Oura’s portion would have brought in $594 million before costs, while those shareholders would have received about $1.61 billion before deductions. That is a detail worth keeping in view as the company considers when to try again.
Oura has not said that the split contributed to the postponement. It has also given no indication of the price investors were prepared to pay, so its claim of strong demand does not settle the question of valuation. The company’s stated reason is market uncertainty; a more specific explanation would be speculation at this stage.
The delay does not come with a warning about weak sales. Oura says it now has 5.7 million paid members, describes the response to Oura Ring 5 as exceptionally strong and expects fiscal 2026 revenue to grow by around 90%. The prospectus reported $1.21 billion in revenue and $60.8 million in net income for the nine months ended June 30.
What happens now
CEO Tom Hale says an IPO is still part of Oura’s plans and that the company can choose when to return to the market. There is no new date or revised price range, and Oura has not said whether it would keep the same share count. Its registration statement has not been declared effective, so the proposed sale has not taken place.
For people already wearing an Oura ring, the announcement says nothing about changes to the product, app or membership. For anyone expecting to buy Oura shares this week, the wait is now open-ended. The next useful signal will be a revised SEC filing or a new announcement explaining when Oura intends to try again.
Don’t miss the latest from Gadgets & Wearables
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and check out our YouTube channel.
You can also follow Gadgets & Wearables on Google News and add us as a preferred source in Google Search.