Garmin has today unveiled the Approach S62 GPS golf watch. It comes with a larger display, some new features and longer battery life compared to its predecessor, the S60.
Essential reading: Top fitness trackers and health gadgets
The company has had a slow start to the year with no big announcements at CES 2020. This was a surprise considering it had used the Las Vegas gathering in the past to launch new devices.
But things seem to be ramping up this week with the announcement of the Tactix Delta watch. This was followed up with the scratch-resistance ceramic Approach S62 golfers watch today.
The timepiece is essentially a new version of the Approach S60. It comes with some healthy upgrades such as:
- A 1.3 inch display versus 1.2 inches, making it 17% larger than the previous model. The resolution has also been boosted from 240 x 240 pixels, to 260 x 260.
- Pulse Ox sensor, along with the latest Garmin Elevate heart rate monitor
- Added heart rate features: HR Zones, HR alerts, HR calories, % HR max, % HRR, HR Broadcast
- Manual lap and Physio Trueup
- Body Battery and all-day stress tracking
- Garmin Pay
- Text Responses, Find My Watch, Sunrise/sunset times
- Battery life of 14 days in smartwatch mode (versus 10 days on the S60). With GPS this falls to 20 hours which is more than double the 10 hours on the S60.
As you’d expect, there are an array of features to enhance your golfing experience. This includes 41,000 preloaded courses, and options such as PlaysLike Distance. Garmin has also introduced a Virtual Caddie that lets you know which club to use and where to aim. To do this it takes into account factors such as wind speed, course layout, and the distance you typically swing with each club.
“The Approach S62 gives golfers access to essential golfing information like no other watch on the market with a style that goes beyond the clubhouse,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of global consumer sales.
“Thanks to our new built-in Virtual Caddie and detailed course maps, the Approach S62 has the power to instantly transform into a caddie that knows you and 41,000 courses worldwide.”
If you’re unable to see the pin, the S62 will show you the direction where to aim. The Hazard View gives you an overview of spots to avoid, while GreenView and Go Green features help with yardage accuracy.
For more insights open up the Garmin Golf app. This provides you access to your handicap index via the new golf performance widget, fairway, approach shot hit/miss percentage, green in regulation percentage and analysis for strokes gained. The app also has a social aspect letting you participate in leaderboards and tournaments.
The Approach S62 can be picked up on Garmin.com for $499.99 from today. It comes with Quickfit bands so you can customize it to your liking with leather, silicone, nylon and titanium options.
Like this article? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and never miss out!