Zepp Health is rolling out a new firmware update for the Amazfit GTR 4 and GTS 4. About a year since their initial release, the watches are receiving some love, proving that older models still hold a valued place in the company’s portfolio.
Lauded for its stylish design and robust feature set, the GTR 4 strikes a fine balance between aesthetics and functionality. As noted in our hands-on review, its GPS accuracy, extensive sports modes, and bio-tracking capabilities are particularly noteworthy. The watch has a user-friendly interface and long battery life, making it a versatile wrist companion. The GTS 5 is very similar, the obvious difference being the square (rather than round) shape of the device.
The latest firmware update, version 188.8.131.52, is a testament to Zepp Health’s commitment to enhancing user experience even after the sale. The update package, at a modest 11.79MB for the GTR 4 and 12.63MB for the GTS 4, brings a few improvements and fixes.
Firmware update: Version 184.108.40.206 – what is new?
Zepp Health says it has improved the heart rate algorithm. Accurate heart rate data, particularly at high intensities, is vital for effective training regimes. It enables users to work out at optimal intensities for fat burning, endurance building, or cardiovascular health.
The other useful change is the introduction of the Cadence Assistant. This is a feature that aids users in maintaining a consistent pace when running. By setting reminders through vibration or sound, it helps in achieving a steady rhythm, which is key for improving performance and reducing the risk of injury. If you’re struggling to improve your time, try increasing your cadence. It is an effective way to run quicker.
Other changes and fixes are as follows:
- Addressed heart rate reading issues: The update rectifies instances of inaccurate high heart rate readings during static activities.
- Wake on wrist raise and always-on functionality: Fixes have been implemented for issues related to these display features not working as intended.
- Music playback improvements: Several fixes have been made to enhance the music experience, including the display of the music list, resolving sound absence in certain scenarios, and ensuring all music files are playable.
- Altitude difference calculation in sports: This improvement will benefit outdoor sports enthusiasts who track elevation changes.
- My location feature in workouts: The update resolves issues with using the ‘My Location’ feature after saving multiple locations.
- Voice broadcast in workouts: Rectifies problems causing the voice broadcast to become stuck in certain scenarios.
- Enhanced path drawing for navigation: This improvement will aid in clearer visual guidance during activities involving navigation.
- Automatic reconnection between watch and mobile: Addresses issues preventing the watch from automatically reconnecting to the phone in some instances.
- Recurring schedule reminders syncing: Ensures better synchronization of schedule reminders after syncing with the phone.
How to install
To install the firmware update, start by ensuring your watch is connected to your smartphone via Bluetooth. Open the Zepp app, and navigate to the ‘Device’ section where your watch is listed. The smartphone app should automatically notify you if there is an update available. Before starting the installation, make sure your watch has enough battery life to complete the process without interruptions. Once you’re ready, tap on the update prompt in the app and follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the firmware. The watch may restart during this process. After the update is installed, it will be running the latest firmware version, complete with all the new enhancements and fixes.
It is nice to see Zepp Health releasing updates for last year’s watches. By continuously improving upon their earlier models, it not only benefits users but also builds brand loyalty and trust.
Like this article? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and never miss out!