We have done a number of articles now on gadgets that can help you perfect your golf swing. Technology has definitely evolved to a point, where it can really help your game.
TomTom, the market leader in car satellite navigation, was one of the early entrants into this market with its Golfer GPS Watch. The company has now announced the second generation of this device, a ultra-slim TomTom Golfer 2 GPS Watch.
Essential reading: Top 12 golf gadgets to improve your game and swing
The TomTom Golfer 2 is a GPS-equipped watch that can calculate distances to the front, middle and back of the green and view hazards on over 40,000 golf courses worldwide. The company’s original watch can give your distance and score, but the latest device also features automatic shot detection using a built-in motion sensor and gyroscope, and an automatic digital scoreboard.
The watch’s automatic shot detection helps you understand your distance potential. It allows you to see distances for drives and approach shots, and analyse strokes in the smartphone app after the game. The watch also features an automatic scorecard, that works with the shot detection feature to automatically count your score, though you’ll have to enter the putts manually. You are free to take practice swings and it won’t register those shots as scores.
Information from the watch is synced over Bluetooth 4.0 to your smartphone. The TomTom MySports app provides you with insights into shot patterns and greens in regulation. Rounds can be studied hole-by-hole in order to build on your strengths and improve your weaknesses. It also has an ultimate round feature that pulls together the best holes from a regularly played course to demonstrate what a best potential round could look like.
“We know that often the best improvements simply come from knowing where you went wrong” says Clive Millington, COO, TomTom.
“This is why we have designed such detailed post-game analysis for the TomTom Golfer 2 to show you where to improve, but also to know what you’re capable of.”
The Golfer 2 is fully water-resistant and can also track daily activities like steps and calories burned. The watch will last up to 11 hours with an active GPS signal, more than enough for a weekend of golf.
The upcoming watch was displayed at the recent London Wearable Technology Show.
A full round-up of features is as follows:
- Green Distances – Precise yardages to front, centre and back of green.
- Hazards – See distances to individual hazards along the fairway.
- Lay-up- See remaining distances to lay-up points.
- Greenview – View unique green and hazard graphics before your shot.
- Round Tracking – Keep track of the score, distance, and time for your round.
- Daily Course Updates: Receive course updates wirelessly from your smartphone.
- Wireless Syncing: Sync your session wirelessly on TomTom MySports app.
- Weather and water resistant to 40M – Play in any weather.
- Perfect Fit: Select large or small straps to ensure the perfect fit for your wrist.
The TomTom Golfer 2 will be available in May for $250 in the US and £200 in the UK.
For more information, head off to www.tomtom.com