Image source: Fitbit

Here’s how to fix Fitbit Versa or Charge 3/4 sync issues

Versa and Charge 3 & 4 are Fitbit’s most popular fitness trackers right now. For the average person who does the occasional run here and there, the devices tick all the boxes. But let’s face it, as much as we like them they’re not perfect. Problems can happen.

Essential readingTop fitness trackers and health gadgets

One of the issues that can occasionally crop up is that your Versa or one of the Charges might refuse to sync to the accompanying app. The software on your smartphone might not be able to find your fitness tracker or it might not be able to hold a connection. Here are some things you can do to resolve the problem.

Try restarting

The first thing you should always try is restarting your tracker and/or your smartphone. This is also the solution if your Fitbit is not responding to button presses, taps, or swipes or if it’s not tracking your steps and other stats.

A hard-reboot of your fitness tracker restarts the device, but does not delete any data. On the Charge 3, press and hold the button on the left of its screen for 8 seconds. When you see a smiley icon and the tracker vibrates, your tracker has restarted. You are now ready to use it again.

To restart your Versa, press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds. Let go of the buttons.

If restarting doesn’t help, there are a few other things you can do.

Software update

Make sure the latest version of the Fitbit app is installed on your phone. Also check to see if the software running on your Charge 3/4 or Versa is up to date. This can be done by tapping on Settings > General > Software Update in the accompanying smartphone app. Make sure your device’s battery isn’t critically low.

Bluetooth issue

Perhaps it’s a connection issue. Go to the Bluetooth settings on your smartphone to see if your Charge 3 is connected. Make sure there are no other Bluetooth devices around that might interfere with this connection.

If you’ve used our fitness tracker with an app on another phone, make sure the Charge 3 or Versa is not connected to that phone instead of the one you are currently using.

Fitbit has suggested the following if all else fails.

1. Force quit the Fitbit app.
  2. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Open the Fitbit app.
  4. If your Fitbit device didn’t sync, restart your phone again.
  5. Open the Fitbit app.
  6. If your Fitbit device didn’t sync, restart it one more time.

If it still doesn’t work, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync.

If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your mobile device and try to sync.

Server outage

This does happen from time to time. The good news is there is nothing for you to do but wait for things to get up and running – the fault is entirely at Fitbit’s end. The bad news is that while you’re waiting you probably won’t be able to open the app, sync your device or even log onto Fitbit’s website. The best place to check if there is a server outage or other technical problem is downdetector.com.

All of these solutions are worth a go if you’re experiencing the problem. Hopefully one of them will work for you.

Like this article? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and never miss out!

27 thoughts on “Here’s how to fix Fitbit Versa or Charge 3/4 sync issues

• I found that if you goto SETTINGS on the Fitbit itself then scroll down to ABOUT then scroll down to REBOOT DEVICE that works perfectly to sync your device

• Thank you that worked perfect after trying everything else for an hour

• Glad it helped! 🙂

• Glad it helped!

• Nothing has worked, can’t even get it to sync on my PC

• I cannot get past the front screen with a red cross saying failed to return to factory setting cant sync ?????? What do I do?

• Same here, great 30 second fix to sync issue to my iPad. Was syncing fine, then just stopped finding my Fitbit Charge 3. Restarting Bluetooth did not resolve. Rebooted Charge 3 and iPad immediately synced. Thanks!!!

• This worked before but unfortunately this option disappeared?

• I just figured it out!!!! Go to settings scroll down until you see fitbit, click on it and check if Bluetooth is on! Mine was off so I turned it on.

• Hi
    Can I set up two Fitbit versa’s on one phone. Mine and my daughter?

• Yes but it would be a very tedious process as you’d need to keep logging off one account and logging on the other in the app to view the data.

• My charge 3 will not pair with my Bluetooth setting, I tried turning the Bluetooth off and on

• I think I’ve solved a common sync problem. Wearing the tracker too tight!! I believe the sensors and blue tooth transmitters are on the bottom of the device, and if wearing too tightly, the signals are blocked by the wrist. loosening the device just a bit seemed to solve the problem.

• You may be wearing the device too tight! blocking the signals.

• I have been trying to sync for 2 hours. Tried all of the above with absolutely no luck. 😬😩

• My charge 3 would not sync for hours. I tried everything in the list. Then I put the charging cable on the Fitbit and it synced. I think the battery was too weak for Bluetooth to work correctly. The Charge 3 showed 93% power. I’m thinking this might be an age related program. My Charge 3 has been in use for two years continuously.

Erik
      Golden, Colorado

• i had to re-setup my charge 3 (as a new device) and it is taking forever and not syncing and ive resetted both my phone and watch ughh can anyone help?

• Solved for me:
    On Charge 3: Settings-About-Clear User Data
    On Fitbit phone App: Tap the Today tab, tap your profile picture, Tap Set Up a Device, Choose Charge 3, Choose “Replace your Fitbit Charge 3”. Follow further instructions.
    Yes, you will lose all your previous data, but for me none of other recommended options worked.

• This worked for me! I’ve been trying to sync my charge 3 with no luck. I removed my device and attempted to re-add to the fitbit app, however it still wouldn’t connect (it got as far as finding the device, but not connecting). I’ve restarted my watch many times and it didn’t seem to help. Found this post and clearing the data then adding the device worked. Thanks!

• OMG thank you so much Anonymous, I have been trying to get my Charge 3 to work and just like Erica I was having the same issue. Clearing the data on the watch was the key for me after days of trying to get the thing to pair and link. One cant do the challenges if its not going to sync the data. Fingers crossed it this is the last time I have to wipe all my data.

• Thanks again Anonymous. My fitbit Charge 3 has not been syncing since Nov 9. I have tried everything to get it to sync…..nothing ever worked until I did the Settings” Clear User data and start over with the Setup new device. IT’s a bummer to loose all that data, but at least it’s syncing again.
    Thanks again!!

• I have a versa lite I got last Christmas, and because the watch band was causing a reaction on my arm I had to stop using it in October. I just got a new metal band for Christmas, but now I cannot get the Fitbit to sync. I have done everything. Restart my phone, restart the device, turn Bluetooth off and on, and I even deleted all data and restored it to factory settings, and it still will not sync. What else can I possibly do?

• I did everything as others have described then tried the clear setting on the fitbit. Am pleased to say that my information is still available on the fitbit app, which was my concern about clearing settings. Thanks for this solution, much time wasted trying to get what was a perfectly functioning fitbit for over a year to an unresponsive item.

• I tried all the tips:
    On Charge 3: Settings-About-Clear User Data
    and still will not connect.
    I get as far as the authentication code to connect the Bluetooth and then it quits trying.

I am so sick of fitbit and their horrible products.

• Only part of my data is syncing (7 out of 9 hours showing instead of 9/9 etc). Have followed all instructions and nothing changing. I see this was an acknowledged problem way back at least 2018 and was being looked at. So … ? Just not good enough – really fed up