Image source: Fitbit

Fitbit users take to forums to vent about Charge 3 blank screen issue

Fitbit Charge 3 might be one of the best fitness trackers around, but it is not without its issues. The latest comes in the form of a blank screen problem. Luckily, there are a couple of things you can try that might resolve the issue.

Essential readingTop fitness trackers and health gadgets

Hundreds of frustrated users have taken to Fitbit forums and other social channels to complain about a blank/black display that’s plaguing their Charge 3. One of the threads currently has 368 posts!

The screen simply stops responding. The fitness tracker remains active, vibrates when buttons are pushed or notifications come through, and still syncs fine to the app. But you can’t see anything. For some the screen switches back on when plugged into the charger, for others it does not.

fitbit users take to forums to complain about charge 3 blank screen issue 1 - Fitbit users take to forums to vent about Charge 3 blank screen issue
Image source: Fitbit

Last week, a Fitbit forum moderator provided a workaround that consists of doing a simple reboot. This is also the suggested solution if your Charge 3 is not syncing, if it’s not responding to button presses, taps, or swipes or if it’s not tracking your steps and other stats.

A hard-reboot restarts the device, but does not delete any data. Simply slot your Fitbit into the charging cable and plug it in. Then press and hold the button on the left of its screen for 8 seconds. When you see a smiley icon and the tracker vibrates, your Charge 3 has restarted. You are now ready to use it again.

It is worth mentioning that this has not resolved the issue for everyone. So yesterday Fitbit offered another workaround. It consists of changing the clock face in the Fitbit app. It seems this may be the culprit in some cases. Once synced, your screen may spring back to life. If not, simply change the clock face back.

Both of these solutions are worth a go if you’re experiencing the problem. Hopefully Fitbit will sling a firmware update to Charge 3 users soon that will provide a permanent fix.

Like this article? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and never miss out!

Sharing is caring!

23 thoughts on “Fitbit users take to forums to vent about Charge 3 blank screen issue

• January 28, 2019 at 6:05 pm

The restart workedvfor me. I truly hope Fitbit fixes the problem. This is my third type and I like it the best.

• January 28, 2019 at 7:58 pm

I have tried both solutions and neither work. My screen is still black. What can I do?
    Jeri

• January 29, 2019 at 12:16 am

Fitbit hasn’t offered any further solutions. You can wait for a firmware update that will hopefully resolve the problem – or ask Fitbit for a replacement.

• August 13, 2019 at 2:00 am

I tried the reboot and the clock face work around. Neither of them work. What now?

• January 28, 2019 at 11:07 pm

My charge 3 screen went blank. It sync’d with the app. Just used the fix and saw the smiley face..It is back for now-but this should not happen on a device this nice.

• March 14, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Agree! I’ve had mine 3 weeks, woke up to blank screen and spent hours trying to figure out what was going on….back on for now, but i’m worried it will just quit any minute! I love this one, but not happy about investing in something that has such a significant flaw.

• January 29, 2019 at 8:32 am

Mine doesn’t work with the restart nor can I change the clock face as it won’t bluetooth. I deleted the link and then tried to re-sync it – but guess what – nothing – wont sync 🙁

• January 29, 2019 at 10:09 am

my charger 3 screen,i can only see a notification and the screen display when I press on the side or touch the screen, before its comes on when I rotate your wrist?

• April 10, 2019 at 4:48 am

Hey Mr Chinedu

My hubby had this issue. There is an option in settings to stop the display when you move your wrist to view it. Worked for us. It seems to turn itself off sometimes or maybe just sensitive when you scroll through options.

• May 4, 2019 at 2:00 am

I can’t find this setting

• May 30, 2019 at 8:28 am

I have had my fitbit charge 3 for 3 months. The screen has gone black, green sensor not working, and it wont sync to my phone. This thing was a big disappointment and luckly I got it at Target who found my charge and will give me store credit. Think I will just return it and get a samsung fit.

• January 29, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I have actually had this same issue off and on with my Alta.

• January 30, 2019 at 5:12 pm

My husbands charger 3 is not charging. It will not hold a partial charge but one day or less. Is there anyway it can be replaced???

• January 30, 2019 at 7:47 pm

You can buy a new one on Amazon – it costs $5. It might not be the charger though – maybe the fitness tracker is faulty. Fitbit should replace it as its still under guarantee.

• January 30, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Changing the clock face fixed the issue. Oh and I was able to change it back and my display still worked.

• June 18, 2019 at 5:55 am

How did you do this I can’t find any clock face on my Charge 3 to change.

• March 10, 2019 at 2:40 pm

I have had the blank screen problem twice since I bought my Fitbit charge 3 more than a month ago. The first time, two weeks ago, I was able to restart it but the second time, yesterday, nothing helped, I tried repeatedly all the suggested solutions. I gave up and I brought the tracker back to the shop and got my money back.

• March 31, 2019 at 3:15 pm

The restart while plugged in did not work for me but changing the clock face has worked! Changed the clock face on my phone and the screen has come back on like normal. Thanks! 🙂

• May 25, 2019 at 6:29 pm

That is not the only product where Fitbit has failed its customers. Soooooo many owners are experiencing product failure just beyond the 365 day warranty period. Fitbit just says ‘thanks for letting us know. We invite you to buy another one.’ No corporate responsibility whatsoever.
    As a former Ionic owner I would never buy one of their products again. I am not the only one who feels like this. Just check out all of the complaints on their Fitbit community forum.

• July 13, 2019 at 7:16 pm

“Fitbit just says ‘thanks for letting us know. We invite you to buy another one.’”

I’m going to call a scam a scam. I’m on my second FB that died within must months of purchase. Both times, FB has given me the runaround with “fixes,” blaming the user and the iPhone app instead of their device. Their best solution to an issue that many users have is to tell them to buy another product. Please stop supporting this company — they are thieves.

• July 22, 2019 at 3:55 am

I have been having the same problem with mine for the last two days. I have done what the advice was to try and ‘fix’ the issue but nothing. So I thought I would be smart and remove the device from the app, now the stupid thing wont reconnect at all. It’s still on but I can’t sync it to the app. AAHH!! So frustrating, especially when it’s been your only watch for eight months now! Any suggestions other than buying a new one?

• August 22, 2019 at 1:42 am

I have the same problem as everyone else on this forum. Tried changing the clock face – no change. Tried holding the side button, but still have a black face. This is absolutely ridiculous. It is only 2 months old and we all have the same problem. I would never buy a new one – this is a huge issue with fitbit. I have spent sooooo much time trying to fix this stupid thing – very, very frustrating. Do you have a sensible suggestion other than suggesting I buy a new one!!!!!