Image source: Fitbit

What to do if Versa or other Fitbit is not tracking sleep properly

Fitbit activity trackers and smartwatches are a great option for those looking for insights into their sleep habits. But what if the device on your wrist is not tracking sleep properly?

Essential reading: 10 gadgets for advanced sleep monitoring

For a long time, Fitbit’s sleep statistics were very basic. But that’s all changed and if you own one of the recent devices with a heart rate sensor, you can see how much light, deep and REM slumber time you are getting each night. The values are calculated by combining accelerometer data, heart rate variability, and Fitbit’s proprietary algorithms. The wearables are great at catching your afternoon naps, too.

The company has been working, since late last year, on something it calls Sleep Score. Still in Beta, it works as a standalone app and utilize the SpO2 sensor (on Charge 3, Versa and Ionic), to dish up even more detailed info. No launch date yet but we expect it will land sometime in 2019.

While very good, some users have reported problems with their Versa or other Fitbit not capturing their sleep statistics properly. For example the tracker might say you only had 2 hours of kip time when in reality you’ve had a good 8 hours. Or perhaps your sleep stages are not showing.

Adjust how you are wearing the tracker to bed

what to do if your fitbit is not tracking steps accurately 300x219 - What to do if Versa or other Fitbit is not tracking sleep properly
Image source: Fitbit

Sleep tracking starts automatically when the wearable no longer detects movement. If you’re still but not asleep for long periods of time it is possible for the device to falsely record sleep. When you wake up in the morning, start shifting around and get out of bed, the wearable when it will recognize you are awake and stop tracking.

The first thing to do is make sure the wearable is positioned correctly on your wrist. For best results, it should be about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone.

If your data seems off, you may want to experiment with perhaps wearing the device a bit tighter or wearing it on your other wrist. If sleep stages are not showing it might be because the tracker was unable to get a consistent heart-rate reading or you wore it too loosely. Sleep stage information also won’t be shown if you’ve slept less than 3 hours.

Is the battery critically low?

There are a few other things you should check. If your battery is critically low it is possible your wearable has switched off sleep tracking during the night to preserve battery. Top up the wearable.

Change sleep sensitivity

Few users know there’s a sleep sensitivity setting in the Fitbit app. Go to the Accounts tab and choose Advanced Settings. Tap on Sleep Sensitivity and choose from the available options.

The default option is the normal setting. This only counts significant movements as being awake, such as rolling over. The sensitive setting will result in your device recording nearly all movements as time spent restless or awake. Play around with this to see if it makes a difference.

Reboot your wearable

The final thing the San Francisco manufacturer suggests is to restart your Versa or other Fitbit. This is also the go-to solution to a vast number of other issues. If you’re not sure how to do this, check out our guide on how to reset your Fitbit fitness tracker or smartwatch.

As always, if all else fails you should contact Fitbit’s Customer Support team. If your wearable has completely stopped tracking sleep you may be experiencing another issue. Or the device may be faulty.

Like this article? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and never miss out!

Sharing is caring!

10 thoughts on “What to do if Versa or other Fitbit is not tracking sleep properly

• March 2, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Versa 2 does not have a sleep sensitivity setting under advanced settings and it is updated. Like very many in the Fibit Community I wish I had not wasted my money.

• August 25, 2020 at 10:58 am

I agree with you. Paid over £130 for my Versa lite and for 3 nights this week it has not recorded my sleep. I think they are trying to cram too many “things” into it. I’d fancied buying the scales too but I read a lot of problems on the forum. I’m not even going there!!!!!!!!!!! Lol. Rainy day and I’ve spent all morning on this so far! Not a happy bunny. E.M.

• September 14, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Absolutely the same experience. Was also thinking about buying the scales but no point. Received my Versa for my birthday in late August. Have altered the sleep sensitivity but still no stats, two nights running sometimes. I suspect that if you get up in the night For personal comfort reasons or to tend to small children, then go back to bed, it fails to record either time of sleep. Also if I wear the band all day, my wrist skin sweats and the skin rubs off in places. It’s only useful for counting footsteps and it’s a clunky object to wear. I feel like I’ve been “tagged”!

• July 3, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Yes, it does have a “sleep sensitivity” setting in the Versa 2. See above to get there. What I can’t do is get the watch to record sleep time anytime before 12:00 am of that day..

• September 23, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Having the same exact issue please help

• July 5, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Versa 2 won’t track sleep properly. 1.5 – 2 hrs each night not showing asleep. Can’t see sleep sensitivity in advanced settings. Any suggestions?

• September 8, 2020 at 4:07 am

My Fitbit inspire stopped tracking sleep and activity shortly after 1 month of purchase.
      I have done all the tests, resetting and sensitivities. Customer service is doing nothing.

• October 23, 2020 at 1:06 pm

For a Versa 2.
      To put on sensitive. Go to your account. Then after the wording ‘ + Set Up a Device’ There is a Settings heading. Choose the first one of that list ‘ Activity & Wellness’, then choose the last option ‘Sleep’ and scroll to the bottom of that page and chose ‘Sleep Sensitivity’ and chose ‘Sensitive’. Good luck. Hope that works.

• August 20, 2020 at 1:15 am

I’m having the same exact problem.

• September 24, 2020 at 11:25 am

Just to redress balance a bit it’s working great for me for 2 years now and 5 years overall for Fitbit.