Image source: Fitbit

What to do if Versa or other Fitbit is not tracking sleep properly

Fitbit activity trackers and smartwatches are a great option for those looking for insights into their sleep habits. But what if the device on your wrist is not tracking sleep properly?

Essential reading: 10 gadgets for advanced sleep monitoring

For a long time, Fitbit’s sleep statistics were very basic. But that’s all changed and if you own one of the recent devices with a heart rate sensor, you can see how much light, deep and REM slumber time you are getting each night. The values are calculated by combining accelerometer data, heart rate variability, and Fitbit’s proprietary algorithms. The wearables are great at catching your afternoon naps, too.

The company has been working, since late last year, on something it calls Sleep Score. Still in Beta, it works as a standalone app and utilize the SpO2 sensor (on Charge 3, Versa and Ionic), to dish up even more detailed info. No launch date yet but we expect it will land sometime in 2019.

While very good, some users have reported problems with their Versa or other Fitbit not capturing their sleep statistics properly. For example the tracker might say you only had 2 hours of kip time when in reality you’ve had a good 8 hours. Or perhaps your sleep stages are not showing.

Adjust how you are wearing the tracker to bed

what to do if your fitbit is not tracking steps accurately 300x219 - What to do if Versa or other Fitbit is not tracking sleep properly
Image source: Fitbit

Sleep tracking starts automatically when the wearable no longer detects movement. If you’re still but not asleep for long periods of time it is possible for the device to falsely record sleep. When you wake up in the morning, start shifting around and get out of bed, the wearable when it will recognize you are awake and stop tracking.

The first thing to do is make sure the wearable is positioned correctly on your wrist. For best results, it should be about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone.

If your data seems off, you may want to experiment with perhaps wearing the device a bit tighter or wearing it on your other wrist. If sleep stages are not showing it might be because the tracker was unable to get a consistent heart-rate reading or you wore it too loosely. Sleep stage information also won’t be shown if you’ve slept less than 3 hours.

Is the battery critically low?

There are a few other things you should check. If your battery is critically low it is possible your wearable has switched off sleep tracking during the night to preserve battery. Top up the wearable.

Change sleep sensitivity

Few users know there’s a sleep sensitivity setting in the Fitbit app. Go to the Accounts tab and choose Advanced Settings. Tap on Sleep Sensitivity and choose from the available options.

The default option is the normal setting. This only counts significant movements as being awake, such as rolling over. The sensitive setting will result in your device recording nearly all movements as time spent restless or awake. Play around with this to see if it makes a difference.

Reboot your wearable

The final thing the San Francisco manufacturer suggests is to restart your Versa or other Fitbit. This is also the go-to solution to a vast number of other issues. If you’re not sure how to do this, check out our guide on how to reset your Fitbit fitness tracker or smartwatch.

As always, if all else fails you should contact Fitbit’s Customer Support team. If your wearable has completely stopped tracking sleep you may be experiencing another issue. Or the device may be faulty.

Like this article? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and never miss out!

28 thoughts on “What to do if Versa or other Fitbit is not tracking sleep properly

• Versa 2 does not have a sleep sensitivity setting under advanced settings and it is updated. Like very many in the Fibit Community I wish I had not wasted my money.

• I agree with you. Paid over £130 for my Versa lite and for 3 nights this week it has not recorded my sleep. I think they are trying to cram too many “things” into it. I’d fancied buying the scales too but I read a lot of problems on the forum. I’m not even going there!!!!!!!!!!! Lol. Rainy day and I’ve spent all morning on this so far! Not a happy bunny. E.M.

• Absolutely the same experience. Was also thinking about buying the scales but no point. Received my Versa for my birthday in late August. Have altered the sleep sensitivity but still no stats, two nights running sometimes. I suspect that if you get up in the night For personal comfort reasons or to tend to small children, then go back to bed, it fails to record either time of sleep. Also if I wear the band all day, my wrist skin sweats and the skin rubs off in places. It’s only useful for counting footsteps and it’s a clunky object to wear. I feel like I’ve been “tagged”!

• I’ve had luck with deleting the sleep log and manually adding it. That seems to do the trick amd seems accurate.
        Hope that helps

• Yes, it does have a “sleep sensitivity” setting in the Versa 2. See above to get there. What I can’t do is get the watch to record sleep time anytime before 12:00 am of that day..

• Having the same exact issue please help

• Agree, It was a waste of money. It does not track heart rate or sleep after 1 yr. Faulty Crappy product. Out of warranty.

• Versa 2 won’t track sleep properly. 1.5 – 2 hrs each night not showing asleep. Can’t see sleep sensitivity in advanced settings. Any suggestions?

• My Fitbit inspire stopped tracking sleep and activity shortly after 1 month of purchase.
      I have done all the tests, resetting and sensitivities. Customer service is doing nothing.

• Please help not tracking sleep or heartbeat

• Should I sleep with fitbit on my wrist
          Does it cause cancer
          Is it safe

• Of course, it safe!
            You wont have cancer easily cos of wearing fitbit or any smartwatch.

• I have had a similar issue with my versa but it was after about a year and a half. I have done everything Fitbit have suggested but still nothing. I think one of the sensors is broken but Fitbit won’t accept liability and give me another watch.

• I stopped buying Fitbit product directly from their website because they make returning the product a nightmare! I like the fitbit product and just bought my 6th fitbit from Kohls. This way if it sucks (like some of their products) I can return to the store, rather than fitbit, without issued. Fitbit outsources their IT dept and they are horrible!!!!

• For a Versa 2.
      To put on sensitive. Go to your account. Then after the wording ‘ + Set Up a Device’ There is a Settings heading. Choose the first one of that list ‘ Activity & Wellness’, then choose the last option ‘Sleep’ and scroll to the bottom of that page and chose ‘Sleep Sensitivity’ and chose ‘Sensitive’. Good luck. Hope that works.

• Exact same thing for me. If I go to bed around 10pm and wake up at 7am, It does not count the sleep from 10-12 pm at all. It starts working again around 1:45am.

• I’m having the same exact problem.

• Like everyone apparently

• Just to redress balance a bit it’s working great for me for 2 years now and 5 years overall for Fitbit.

• I have the Fitbit Versa and I had to call Fitbit many times because the sleep tracking is always off on my watch they make me reset it it works for a while and then does it again. I have had issues from the beginning whwn I purchased it I called Fitbut have numerous csse numbers all when its was under warranty they never offered to replace my watch they just waste my time resetting it now I want a replacement and they wont give it to me because after a year of complaining now its out of warranty and they won’t do anything for me. I was in warranty with all my calls.
    I hate this company

• I have a 4 and it never records my asleep. At best it starts around 1am or 2 am. Sometimes, but till 4 and sometime but at all. It’s very frustrating. All I really get accurately after my steps. I’m interesting in my sleep. I bought a new one due this reason. I’ve contacted Fitbit butt never get a resolution. Disappointed.

• Alot of negative comments, but I have to say I have had my fitbit for almost a year now and have had zero issues. Tracks my sleep just fine.

• My first Versa worked great. I got all my sleep analytics (I have premium membership). Now I have a Versa 2 and I get sleep analytics about twice month. I get my sleep schedule every night, but no analytics. I’ve tried all suggestions, contacted support, etc. No change. I have decided to cancel my premium membership since I got it just for the analytics. I think there is a problem with the sleep feature that the company is not able to fix, since I see so many others with the same complaint. This is so disappointing, I won’t be buying another Fitbit.

• I have a Versa 2 and it will not track my sleep. I am very disappointed because that was a feature I was really interested in. Not sure if tracking steps is enough to put up with such a clumpy watch.

• I have a fitbit and it too doesn’t track my sleep any more. I’m so disappointed because that was mostly why i bought it. Is there a different watch that works better i can buy next time. Never recommend this watch.

• Just bought an Inspire 2 and I’m having the same issue with the wristlet not logging sleep and sleep score although it’s picked up by the app on the phone. Highly disappointed to see that this particular issue goes back to at least 2019 in several different models. I’ve tried changing to sensitive sleep mode, rebooting (several times), it’s “on wrist”, reinstalled the app, and turned on location settings. Interesting that over the course of 2 full years that the issue hasn’t been resolved.

• I have a Versa 3. The battery died after 3 months but FitBit replaced it within 4 days. However, the original Versa 3 had stopped recording the sleep before 12 am and was dropping about 2 hrs of sleep a night. I figured it was due to the battery problem. But the new Versa 3 is doing the same thing, nothing before 12 am. I love Fitbit and have had earlier models which all worked well, so I am very disappointed with this very expensive purchase.

• I too have an Inspire 2 and it has not given sleep stages or a sleep score since I got it – only basic sleep stages. I’ve contacted support and scoured the help forums for a solution – nothing has worked. After 10 days I got a replacement, but still have he same issue. It’s frustrating as the Inspire 2 claims to have just the right features for me.
    What I find most frustrating is that the Fitbit support team simply keep saying the same thing by trotting out what is already written in the help guide. They have the worst tech support I’ve ever experienced!
    Clearly from the number of issues identified on various fora there is a flaw with Fitbits algorithms which needs to be addressed. I hope things will improve now that Google has taken over!
    My daughter has a Garmin – seems much better. I wish I’d bought one of those instead.