HealthGPT: Your AI health assistant on iOS
ChatGPT, an experimental iOS app, taps into Apple Health data, allowing for user-friendly health data interaction via a natural language interface.
A developer has successfully linked ChatGPT, the artificial intelligence (AI) language model that has been making all the news in recent months, to his iPhone’s personal health data. The software demonstrates how users can engage in interactive interactions with their digital health history. An indication of things to come, soon everyone will have their own personalised AI health assistant.
The advantages of such a system are enormous. They range from collecting personal health data in a privacy-first manner to identifying an individual’s unique needs and providing personalised guidance towards their health and fitness goals. HealthGPT currently has access to the last two weeks of a few categories of health data. This includes step count, activity minutes, active energy burned, and sleep.
Essential reading: Best fitness trackers and health gadgets
Imagine a world where you could ask your AI health assistant questions like, “My leg is cramping. What could be causing this?” or “I am training for a half marathon. Can you come up with a training plan given my current activity?” or even “What was my last cholesterol level? Is it too high or low?”.
This development has been made possible through CardinalKit, an extensible framework from the Stanford Byers Center for Biodesign. CardinalKit allows developers to easily query HealthKit, upload data to Firebase, and set up an onboarding flow. This ease of integration has enabled the developer to successfully connect ChatGPT to Apple Health.
An ideal solution for queryng complex health data
The natural language interface of ChatGPT offers an ideal solution for querying complex health data. It not only simplifies the process of understanding one’s health information but also makes it more accessible to users with varying levels of medical knowledge.
Key features of HealthGPT include:
- Chat-style interface: The app’s user-friendly design allows users to interact with their health data in a conversational manner, making it more accessible to people with varying levels of medical knowledge.
- Integration with the Apple Health app: HealthGPT connects directly to the Apple Health app, ensuring seamless first-party data usage and a consistent user experience.
- Extensible architecture: Built on CardinalKit, HealthGPT offers a highly customizable platform for developers looking to create personalized AI health assistants. With easy-to-extend capabilities, the app can evolve to meet the unique needs of each user.
- GPT-3.5 + GPT-4 access: By utilizing the OpenAI Swift module, HealthGPT harnesses the power of advanced AI language models to offer accurate and detailed health data insights.
- Out-of-the-box support: HealthGPT provides built-in support for querying various types of health metrics.
The developer is now looking to expand HealthGPT functionality to access a broader range of health data and a longer timeline. This will result in the app offering users more comprehensive advice based on their individual health profile. Undoubtedly, HealthGPT is only one of many similar applications to come.
The code and a more detailed description of the HealthGPT project can be found on GitHub.
Like this article? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and never miss out!